Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Role Model for Kindness

I thought it was only right to dedicate the first real post to the person who inspires me to be a kinder person every day.

Logan Hollers is my best friend. He's the Jack Donaghy to my Liz Lemon. My accomplice. My drinking buddy. My wingman. Co-discoverer of awesome music. Giver and receiver of many high-fives. The person who surprises me with weird pop culture references. The first person I call when I'm happy, sad, or just have an awesome joke that can't wait for an appropriate moment. He puts up with my bullshit. He always has my back. I'm lucky to have many amazing friends, but he's family. 

I've never known a person who is so good to the core. When we first met I didn't think he was for real. He would chat with everyone who crossed our path and seemed to always find a little change in his pocket for anyone who asked. If you've ever been to the Tenderloin in San Francisco, you'll understand that this can be a pretty substantial amount of money. Being the skeptic that I am, I assumed he was just another smooth talker trying to impress a girl. As I got to know him better I realized that he cares so deeply about all people - from strangers to his crew of friends who are reminiscent of the cast of Cheers. If you hurt, Logan hurts. If you're happy, Logan is happy. He has a gift for reaching people on another level.

Logan is also brilliant. He could have any career he wants and be filthy rich, but he chooses instead to use that talent to make the world a better place. He's an environmental lawyer and although he has a had a bit of trouble on the job front lately, he doesn't let it stop him from doing everything he can for the causes he's passionate about. He does writing and research, educates his peers, and volunteers wherever he can. I love my job, and am so lucky to go to work happy every day, but I often wonder what things would be like if more people were like Logan and used their talents for good instead of squandering them for money.

What inspires me most about Logan is that he has the courage to call people out when they're not being nice. While many would sound self-righteous, he does it with grace and humor. I can't even count the number of occasions where I've made some bitchy quip about someone, and he has chuckled and then pointed out three positive things about them. Just the other day we were walking through New York City and I was pointing out outfits that I liked. After a solid three hours of listening to me ramble about fashion, he told me to stop talking to him about it and to start telling these girls that I liked their style. I did.  I was shy and awkward about it, but I did it. Logan just knows how to point out the best, and bring out the best, in people.

I could go on for days about the awesomeness of this guy, but I think you get the point. He sets the bar for kindness pretty high. 

No comments:

Post a Comment