Airports bring out the worst in everyone. This is especially
true for me. I’m proud of the fact that I resisted popping off at strangers,
but I’m not very proud of some of the thoughts that went through my head.
For one, I’m profoundly impatient. I travel a lot so I've got the security routine down to a science. When an amateur traveler slows me down
they will usually get an eye roll or an earful. No, I’m not normally in a rush
to get to my flight. I’m usually just rushing for a beer and to explore the
bookstore while I’m half drunk and have lowered spending inhibitions. I never
stop and think about how lucky I am to get to fly often. I also don’t think about how easy it is for me
because I’m healthy, mobile, and childless.
The other problem is that I’m a snobby eavesdropper. When
you travel alone it’s easy to get wrapped up in conversations you overhear. I constantly find myself listening in, being incredibly judgmental, and wishing I had the power to revoke speaking privileges.
Add unruly children to the mix? I turn into Hate-lin.
Since I started this project I’ve been making an effort to
try and steer my thoughts whenever they turn negative, but the second I stepped
through the doors at the airport it all seemed to slip away. I tried my best
to keep picturing the opening scene from Love Actually but it only made me sad
that I was leaving my family. I just
wanted to get back to California and take my mind off
missing them. I wanted to get the next eight hours over with as quickly as
possible.
I didn’t think it was going to be an issue so I didn’t come
up with a game plan to get me through the day. Clearly I need one for next
time.
Or, if this project does what I’m hoping it will do, maybe I
won’t be such a jerk by the next time I fly.
Definitely trying. Definitely not perfect.

No comments:
Post a Comment